Proper wine storage is essential for preserving the quality and taste of your wine. However, there are common mistakes that many people make when storing wine that can negatively impact its flavour and longevity. Here are some simple dos and don'ts of storing wine to help you keep your wine in the best condition.
- Store wine in a cool, dark place: Wine should be stored in a cool, dark place with a consistent temperature. Avoid storing wine in areas with fluctuations in temperature or excessive light exposure, which can damage the wine.
- Store wine on its side: Wine should be stored on its side to keep the cork moist and prevent it from drying out. A dry cork can lead to oxidation, which can ruin the wine.
- Keep the wine away from strong odours: Wine can absorb odours from its environment, so it's important to keep it away from strong-smelling foods or chemicals.
- Handle wine bottles carefully: When handling wine bottles, avoid shaking or jostling them, which can disturb the sediment and affect the wine's flavour.
- Keep track of the wine's age: Wine has a shelf life and should be consumed within a certain timeframe. Keep track of the age of your wine and drink it before it passes its peak.
- Don't store wine in the refrigerator: While a refrigerator may seem like a convenient place to store wine, it's actually too cold and can cause the cork to dry out, leading to oxidation.
- Don't store wine in a warm area: Storing wine in a warm area, such as near a stove or heating vent, can cause the wine to spoil and lose its flavour.
- Don't store wine in direct sunlight: Sunlight can cause wine to spoil and develop off-flavours.
- Don't store wine in a place with strong vibrations: Vibrations can disturb the sediment in wine, affecting its flavour.
- Don't store wine for too long: While some wines improve with age, most wines are meant to be consumed within a few years of bottling. Storing wine for too long can cause it to spoil or lose its flavour.
Proper wine storage is crucial for preserving the quality and taste of your wine. Avoiding these common mistakes can help you enjoy your wine to the fullest. Follow these dos and don'ts of wine storage, and you can ensure that your wine tastes its best when you're ready to enjoy it!
Thankfully, a Grand Cru wine fridge is the perfect way to keep your wines fresh and optimally stored. Wine fridges help keep your wine at a consistent temperature, keep them at the proper humidity and make for an easy and accessible way to grab your preferred bottle of wine whenever you want!
If you’re ready to purchase a wine fridge for the best storage solution for your collection, visit the Grand Cru Wine Fridge Finder to choose the best one for you.